If you like to change the look of your garden from year to year, annual flowers are the way to go. You’ll spend less time on maintenance and more time enjoying a brand new palette each season. Here’s how best to care for annual flowers:
Annuals you can sow directly in the garden
There are a number of annuals you can sow directly in the garden. Some, such as pansies and petunias, will produce blooms quickly after being sown. Others, like salvia and marigolds, need to be started indoors several weeks before they can be planted outside. Follow these instructions for starting each type of flower from seed:
- Sow the seeds in small pots filled with moistened soil or seed starter mix—either bought or made at home—and cover them lightly with more mix (about ⅛ inch/3 millimeters). If using purchased seed starter mix, follow the directions on the package.
- Place your pots on a heating mat or set them close to a window where they’ll get plenty of light until germination begins (usually within two to seven days). Keep an eye on them while they’re growing; keep water levels high enough that neither too much nor too little moisture remains in the soil at any given time.
- Transplant your transplants into larger containers when necessary for further growth (usually about every two weeks), making sure not to disturb their roots during this process so that transplant shock doesn’t occur after you put them back into their new homes! Water well once again before moving anyone else’s housemates apart from yours.”
Annuals you can start in trays indoors first
The best annual flowers for starting indoors include:
- Calibrachoa (mini petunia)
- Celosia (cockscomb)
- Cosmos (Cosmos bipinnatus)
- Lantana (lantana camara)
It’s easy to start these plants in trays and then transplant them into the garden when they’re ready. The best time to do this is during spring or fall, since that gives your plants plenty of time to get established before summer heat sets in.
Annual flowers are a fun way to change things up every year.
- Annuals are easy to grow
- Annuals add color to your garden
- Annuals can add texture to your garden
- Annuals can add height to your garden
Annual flowers are a great way to add some color and variety to your garden. They’re fun, fast-growing, and you can change them up every year if you like! If you take care of them properly, these flowers can give you beautiful blooms for the entire growing season. We hope this article has helped you learn how to grow annuals, what kinds of annuals there are, and how to care for these vibrant plants in your own garden. Happy gardening!